Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 109
Vapor Lock

Thread: Vapor Lock

Default Vapor Lock

What is it and how do I fix it?
    ~~My husband has the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the zoo. ~~

superhappyfuntimeperson

Vapor lock is when your fuel vaporizes in the carb or fuel line, etc. Some people call it boiling or percolating. Unfortunately, todays blended fuels are a little more prone to it. Depending on where your problem is can depend on how you fix it....if it's in a carb, you can use a better base gasket between the manifold and carb to help prevent heat transfer (One that is made to reduce heat transfer). If it is in the fuel line, sometimes re-routing the fuel line farther away from the heat source will help (exhaust, engine block, etc.) or installing a heat shield between the line and heat source. Good Luck...this can be pain to track down sometimes!

I once rented a wood chipper that had an air cooled Wisconsin engine on it...vapor locked in the carb constantly....I thru a zip lock bag of ice on the intake around the carb and it solved it. Temp fix that got me thru the job!
    46 CJ-2A locked and loaded, 34x9.50 tsl
    82 CJ-8 surprise
    64 Willys Wagon
    85 SJ
    64 J series
    Tons of Parts

Here is an article of what one guy did to fix his.

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...-the-fuel-rail

In a nutshell, He insulated his gas line and injectors from the engine heat. Since that type of insulation is mostly for radiant heat, its best to install it loose on the lines but still wrapping all the way around the lines. If you have an electric radiator fan, install a manual switch or timer to run the fan a few minutes after you stop on the trail. This will reduce your underhood temperatures and reduce the chance of vaporlock.
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC

I think that a man with a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football.

While I am lazy and like the idea of the clothespin, I might have to do this whole thing. Doesn't look like something I can't handle.

I also burned right through my ox cable too. I found that when I loaded it up.

Thanks Gary!
    ~~My husband has the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the zoo. ~~