Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 109
Ohio newbie

Thread: Ohio newbie

Default Ohio newbie

Had my 2013 JK for about a year and finally made some mods, including tires (Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 33s), 2.5" lift, and a bumper.

Looking to come up to Michigan and find some trails / events.

Any suggestions?

Shep

Welcome Shep!

How far are you willing to travel for an event or get together?
    ~~My husband has the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the zoo. ~~

Welcome Shep.

Whereabouts in Ohio are you? Near Wellsville by chance?

Live near Cleveland, but spend a lot of time near Toledo and have family in the Monroe/Detroit area. The U.P. might be a bit too far, but we used to go up to Grayling and kayak on the Au Sable every year when I was younger.

There's a couple of trail rides in Grayling coming up. ATV off road club of Michigan is hosting a charity trail ride 5/30-31 for Juvenile diabetes. Then there's another trail ride in Grayling June 6-8 with a canoe trip on Sunday morning.

Most of the wheeling in Michigan takes place north of a line drawn between Bay City and Muskegon. The lower Peninsula's roads are mostly sandy two tracks with a few muddy spots. The upper peninsula has sandy trails too but has more areas of very rocky ground and a lot more mud.

Parks include The Mounds, Silver Lake Sand Dunes, St Helen scramble area, Rocks and Valleys, Turtle Ridge, and Twisted Trails.

The US Forest Service will send you free Motor Vehicle Use Maps for whatever forest you want to ride in. Those maps tell you which Forest Service Trails are open to vehicular traffic. Not all roads are. Its still quite confusing at times.

The Michigan DNR website has online maps of state ORV Routes. ORV Trails are only for vehicles 50" wide or less - ATVs and Motorcycles, so Jeeps only get the Routes. There are are many seasonal county roads every bit as good as ORV Routes. To go on the state ORV Routes and Trails, the St Helen Scramble Area, Silver Lake Sand Dunes, or The Mounds park, you'll need the Michigan $35 trail permits. (The Mounds may only require the $25 permit, I don't know for sure.)You can get the permits wherever you can get Michigan Hunting or Fishing Licenses. I get mine at Walmart.

Until you get an aftermarket engine/transmission skidplate, an evap cannister skidplate or relocation kit, and an upgraded gas tank skid plate, I recommend you stay off the rock piles.

Also, install a CB radio if you are going to go with groups of people. Handheld CBs are almost worthless. The radios are used to tell each other where to turn, which sides of the water holes are shallowest, when a hill is clear to start climbing, and just general chit chat.

Winter wheeling is a whole different animal. The easy sandy two tracks of summer can be very challenging in the winter with a foot or two of snow on them. This last winter it was three feet in many places.
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC

I think that a man with a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football.