Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 109

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Limiting small farms

Default Limiting small farms

This is a bad step in the wrong direction.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1235774/mic...nd-beekeepers/

Michigan residents lost their right to farm this week thanks to a new ruling by the Michigan Commission of Agriculture and Rural Development. Gail Philburn of the Michigan Sierra Club told Michigan Live, the new changes effectively remove Right to Farm Act protection for many urban and suburban backyard farmers raising small numbers of animals. Backyard and urban farming were previously protected by Michigans Right to Farm Act. The Commission ruled that the Right to Farm Act protections no longer apply to many homeowners who keep small numbers of livestock.

Kim White, who raises chickens and rabbits, said, They dont want us little guys feeding ourselves. They want us to go all to the big farms. They want to do away with small farms and I believe that is whats motivating it. The ruling will allow local governments to arbitrarily ban goats, chickens and beehives on any property where there are 13 homes within one eighth mile or a residence within 250 feet of the property, according to Michigan Public Radio. The Right to Farm Act was created in 1981 to protect farmers from the complaints of people from the city who moved to the country and then attempted to make it more urban with anti-farming ordinances. The new changes affect residents of rural Michigan too. It is not simply an urban or suburban concern

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1235774/mic...KZW0cvhOVtU.99
    ~~My husband has the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the zoo. ~~

I'm bringing sexy back! Hemrides's Avatar

A lady I used to work with had neighbors that raised chickens. They also had a dog named Sparky, that helped himself to a tasty treat once or twice. If old Sparky is still alive I know he will be sad to hear about this change.

Just another way they can make sure that we eat their GMO filled sh!t. Free country my ass.
    1985 Scrambler LS2/NV4500/d300/D44s

Sean, that is the real reason. I believe that sincerely.

The people who don't look very deeply just see a loophole closed that keeps people in suburban communities from going all homestead in the cities.

Once we are totally separated from our food supply, we are a captive audience.

The same thing is going on in the forests. They are being managed primarily for the timber industry, not the public.
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC

I think that a man with a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football.

Just follow the money.
    1985 Scrambler LS2/NV4500/d300/D44s

Yooper transplant to Iowa ckupq's Avatar

Horrible article. Sounds like the guidelines are more for keeping people in towns from having cows than limiting food production. Reading this article Kim White doesn't have problem, as a matter of opinion it sounds like they are trying to manipulate the rules to make it clearer for her to have animals in town.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...commissio.html

I know what your are saying ckupq but in a historical sense, once something is taken away....even for a "committee of experts" to redifine, it usually isn't in favor of those who it stripped rights from in the first place.

I was concerned with some of the language they use in that article.....I am not ammenable to living in a commune, which is what I think they are streamlining us for, Communal living. I want my own homestead.

Meachum said Monday's discussion and public comment included suggestions to create a work group to tackle the concerns of people who have urban or suburban operations, either commercial farms or to grow their own food.

No action was taken Monday to form the work group.
    “The Commission believes this approved management practice recognizes what is generally acceptable for livestock, allows for community involvement in raising livestock in areas where agriculture is a non-expected use, and provides continued opportunity for people to be closer to local food sources.”

We have a pain in the ass neighbor who has goats and chickens on a 1/2 acre lot. They are always in our yard eating from our garden, digging in the lawn and the goats are eating our hedges. The animals aren't smart enough to respect the border. Roosters also start crowing at 4 am. So no leaving windows open in the summer.

It's all fun until they move in next door

If its a milk goat, have your fill...
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC

I think that a man with a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football.

Who cares if it's a milk goat. They all roast up pretty tasty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    thrca
    98 TJ 4.0L LP Gas
    14B Spooled/D60 5.38s
    Long Arms, 16" Air Shocks, 40" IROKs
    Ignore above.. Its a WIP, in the garage.

I've never had goat....something about the SE at the end was always a turn off....

Killing the goat is a bit extreme. Collecting a quart of milk everyday is fair toll for crossing the fence.

However, some of those chickens might come up missing...
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC