Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 109
Oil Pump ?

Thread: Oil Pump ?

Submarine Jeep Recovery XJcoupe's Avatar

Default Oil Pump ?

Hey guys, Do I need to pull the motor to replace oil pump on my 2000 Durango with a 318, not looking forward to it if need to. Comming home from the loonie run, I lost all oil presure the last mile home. Nursed it home and changed oil/filter, now the bottom end rattles a tad, and the oil presure goes up/down contantly.
    YouTube Channel - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/xjcustomcoupe

No need to pull engine.
    You can figure on about 1 hour. Drain oil. While it is draining, remove the passenger side auxillary support strut that goes from the motor mount to the transmission. Put the plug back in the pan, and proceed to remove the oil pan bolts (14 maybe?). Slide the oil pan out. There will be three bolts that hold the pump in place. Remove two. Then slide an oil catch pan directly underneath the pump, remove the last bolt, and place the pump into the pan.
    Next, unthread the pick-up tube from the old pump and clean it thoroughly. Thread the clean pick-up tube into the new oil-pump. Prime the pump by submersing the pick-up in oil and turning the drive with a 5/16" (I think) allen wrench. Install the new pump by first inserting the drive shaft into the pump, and the turning the pump to align the bolt holes.
    The oil pan gasket is reusable, though you may choose to install a new one. Reinstall the oil pan, making sure that the gasket tabs where the pan meets the transmission are inserted into their holes (you will have no doubt as to what this means when you do it). Get all the bolts snug and then torque them outwards from the center in an orderly fashion, i.e center two- left and right, then the two-left and right-towards the front of the engine, then the two-left and right- toward the transmission, and so on spanning outward. Reinstall the engine to transmission support strut. You are done, unless you want to go over an hour....
    As an added precaution you can remove the spark plugs, unplug the injectors, and crank the motor for 5-10 seconds. This will drive the air between the primed pump and the channel that it pumps into up into the valve covers.
    A trick to keeping the gasket in place during install. Tie the corners in place with thread (through the bolt holes). After getting all the other bolts started ... cut the threads and pull them out ... install corner bolts.
    Inspect crank to see if you have any bad bearings.

thank you ! I guess its time to get alittle dirty now

Remove the starter as well which is also a pain to do.

Why do you suppose you lost pressure...

3 years since the last oil change?

Running used fryer oil in it?

Have you done it yet?
    Meh!!!

Rattle is bad. Hope you didn't do more damage to the motor.
    My hellawack shiznit is interfrizzled in my brizzle

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    Why do you suppose you lost pressure...
    Its a Dodge

3 years since the last oil change?
    6 months, not even 1000km since the last oil change, yes i dont drive it every day, its a pig on gas

Running used fryer oil in it?
    maybe I should try this next

Have you done it yet?
    noop not yet !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buggy Tim View Post
    Rattle is bad. Hope you didn't do more damage to the motor.
    Rattles just a tad on warm up, then goes away, oil presure is showing on the gauge, but not even close to where it use to run in the past.