Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 109
Super assisted power steering

yepthatsme

Default Super assisted power steering

Installed a saginaw box from 97 Dodge diesel pick up onto my 03 diesel swap. Draglink is totally level with use of standard 97 pitman arm and dana 60 p/side high steer arm. Problem is the steering seems over assisted. No stiffness to the steering wheel at all through its rotation. Used power steering fluid instead of usual atf that I would normally have used. Completely bled of air and drives great in the sense that it tracks perfect and doesn't bump steer or wander but literally has zero road feel with 37" radials, 4.8 degrees on the knuckles and a heavy ass engine over the axle. This is the only swap I've done that steers like this, doesn't seem right. Seems like a valve in the box is stuck full open or something. Adjusted sector shaft screw this morning but didn't make much difference in resistance feel. Kinda gives an unwary feeling while driving, like wheels are on roller pads. Most wouldn't complain but its unusual, even at a dead stop I can turn lock to lock in 3 seconds or less with the brakes on even.
    Any ideas or direction on this????

I wouldn't complain. LOL

I would love to be able to turn fast while stopped.

Does it make noise? Like it's running through the bypass? Maybe you got a really good pump. You could mess with the valve spring and shims to turn the power down.

yepthatsme

Still steers fast and really easy but you'd never believe what I found! Changed the box out already and it helped a little bit but then the real issue popped out and revealed itself and I was amazed at how myself and another set of eyes missed it. Hint: drivers side D60 knuckle issue! And yes it was driven at high speeds and drove well.

Was the knuckle cracked?

yepthatsme

Left kingpin was completely broke off, threads gone off the bottom of it and two inch oblonged hole where it once sat torqued in the inner c knuckle. Pulled it right out by just sticking my thumb in the 7/8 hex hole in top of it. No leaning wheels, vibration or shakes. No movement when checked with a bar top and bottom of tire/rim, Wickedly wild thick grease I guess? Have to buy more of it maybe! Any how I replaced the c knuckle then swapped out that housing to a chevy 60 instead that had chromoly axles in it that was sitting stored. That dodge housing has some spooky ass mojo goin on so it can lay sleeping on the garage floor.

hahahahaha

Good to hear you got it sorted out Jay...
    Meh!!!