Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 109
Testing an ignition coil

Thumbs down Testing an ignition coil

Okay, so I'm having some ignition problems with my 2001 polaris supersport 550. I believe the problem lies in the ignition coil, shows signs of heat damage and I have no spark at all- was weak- now none. The problem I'm having is finding the specifics on testing a coil of this type. It has the red and black inputs- which I assume red = + and black= - ... any ideas on what my readings should be and where exactly I should take them? Bought a multimeter just for the test.. LOL So I'm trying to learn at the same time. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete
    Drawn only to be washed away
    For the time that I've been given
    I am what I am

Dusty... best bet would have been just to pick up a new coil... visible heat damage and complete loss of spark is a pretty good indicator.

My old John Deere is having similar problems...

-440 Twin Kawasaki engine w/single carb
    -spark on both new plugs when out of the engine
    -fires and runs at idle on both cylinders indicated by heat on both plugs when pulled
    -drops out to the clutch side plug when brought up off of idle to "Full throttle" with the track in the air - takes awhile to get there, but does... Rewind cylinder is dropping out, indicated by a significantly cooler plug when pulled
    Did a compression test earlier this year and both cylinders were around 145 dry as the engine had not been run in over a year...

Engine has a CDI ignition with one coil with 3 wires going to it. Going to try a new coil tomorrow and if that is not it, I will be pulling the rewind off and digging into the flywheel side...

Keep us posted as to what you find, but I am betting it is the coil...
    Meh!!!

So it's official, snowmobiles suck... I took the sled into the dealer to have it checked out, and when I called them 3 days later to check on it they said that there was no problem with the ignition. They went out and put the keys in it and drove it into the shop. They did however find that it wasn't getting enough oil and the carbs were dirty.
    Fast forward to today- the wife and I wanted to go out riding and have lunch. I parked the jeep and trailer at larrys bar in elmira, and we headed off to lakes of the north. Great ride down there, pulled in at the hideaway bar at starvation lake, and the damn thing quit again and would not re-start. Ended up towing it back as far as alba, about 20 or so miles with my yamaha(which I overheated on the way back) and called my dad to bring the trailer. By the time he got there it had cooled down enough to kinda start up and run onto the trailer and die....... COIL TOO HOT is my guess... LOL now off to the parts store.
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete
    Drawn only to be washed away
    For the time that I've been given
    I am what I am

I feel your pain. I've broken both my sleds this winter. I finally have one running, and then my friend breaks his. It's been a tough winter.
    93 Land Cruiser

"The State is the great fiction where people try to live at the expense of other people". Frederic Bastiat

To be governed:http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/1464...ted-spied-upon