Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 109
Spark Arrestor & Michigan ORV trails?

Default Spark Arrestor & Michigan ORV trails?

Hi everyone! I figured this would be a good place to ask a question about the Michigan trail systems. Me and some friends with Jeeps are going to Mio, MI to bull gap Memorial day Weekend. I drive a street legal rail buggy and I currently have a stinger muffler with a baffle insert. I was wondering how strict they are with spark arrestors on the ORV trails? I know places like silver lake have an inspection booth, but do most of the off road trails have these same inspection stations? We plan on riding secondary roads & ORV trails. Would it be best for me to switch out my collector for one with a spark arrestor or are they pretty relaxed on the trails?

Yes, switch it out to something with a spark arrestor.

With the exception of Silver Lake, I have never been checked for a spark arrester.

Many cases a properly baffled muffler is sufficient. All silver lake does is sticks a plastic stick in the tail pipe and it has to be blocked from going through the muffler, meaning no glass pack, straight through mufflers. If you have a baffled muffler you are probably fine.

You can also get a clamp on arrester that slips over the end of the muffler that passes. They are sold all over the place at silver lake. No need to totally replace the muffler.
    My hellawack shiznit is interfrizzled in my brizzle

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
    With the exception of Silver Lake, I have never been checked for a spark arrester.

Many cases a properly baffled muffler is sufficient. All silver lake does is sticks a plastic stick in the tail pipe and it has to be blocked from going through the muffler, meaning no glass pack, straight through mufflers. If you have a baffled muffler you are probably fine.

You can also get a clamp on arrester that slips over the end of the muffler that passes. They are sold all over the place at silver lake. No need to totally replace the muffler.
    Thanks! It has a decent baffle but it is strait thru. Good news you have never been checked and I probably do not need to worry for where I'm going. I have heard people say they ran open headers at the hill. My baffle opening is a touch over 3" and hard to find anything big enough to fit it. :(

I'm here for the fun whiterhino's Avatar

You will be bored at Bull Gap.

Quote Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
    You will be bored at Bull Gap.
    Its just a stop. Plan on riding secondary roads and orv trails. Are there some good orv trails in the mio area?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
    Riding ATV's I've been checked twice, both times at Bull Gap. You will most certainly see a CO there on memorial day weekend

I have read that they really only check quads. Thinking about just taking some metal window screen and fixing it in tip of muffler. I have a buddy that took his buggy up and didnt have an issue but who knows. I'm sure quad trails are more busy than orv trails.

I need to make one for my honda. The factory replacement baffle/spark arrester is $85. I will build one instead. I bet I can make it a lot quieter too.

Anyone know where to get perforated tube or really heavy duty screen?
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC

I think that a man with a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football.

State law requires that all ORVs have a US Forest Service-approved spark arrestor installed at all times.

There's a good reason for this.....it keeps the forest from burning down!!

Full compliance with the laws regulating our sport benefits everyone in the long run!!

The man....the legend.....the dork with the trailer!!