Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 109

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

All grown up.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All grown up.

Default All grown up.

My 2008 JK Rubicon build

Due to popular demand, (actually one very adamant person), I put together a list of the mods I have done so far on the Jeep.

One of the first things I did was to install a Kilby evap can relocate kit. Its a good thing I did it because this log traveled right through the area where the cannister used to reside and ended up here. It would have been destroyed if not for the relocation.You can see the evap skid plate just above the diff behind the crossmember

Trailer hitches cost too much from the factory so I installed mine myself with a factory 4 pin harness and saved about $100

Fire extinguisher is something I hope I never have to use.

Husky floor and cargo mats for the mud and snow.

The Solid Front diff cover was won at a Pig Gig and has served me well on the Drummond rocks.

The Riddler rear diff cover was a birthday present from my Mother in Law - Thanks Mom!

When The Mounds first got the rock course, Jarhead talked me into going over it with a stock suspension. It wasn't any problem even with the diffs unlocked and street pressure.. However, when I got home I noticed my oil pan was bashed front and rear, so I figured it was time for a Skid Row engine tranny skid. A very good investment indeed. I also installed a Rugged Ridge Sway bar skid to protect the sway disconnect actuator that has since died from piss poor design.

Believe it or not, my wife insisted we get a winch for the Jeep to aid in putting in and pulling out the boat hoist in the lake every year.I made a custom winch mount so I could use the standard bumper for a while to hold the Warn xd9000i winch.

On JKs, you have to ask the computer's permission to turn the lockers on and off. I don't since I made a front and rear locker control bypass system. The switches are easy to reach in the windshield pillar and the relays are mounted in front of the battery.

Lightforce Striker 170 windshield lights. Oh, yeah, I like these. I also got the combo filters for a combination spot and wide angle light. I fabbed the brackets too.

Extended vents on front and rear axles. The front axle vent tends to burp and stink. The in line gas filter in the vent line stopped the burping. The rear is tucked up behind the right hand tail light cavity.
    Extended vents on auto trans and tcase are seen in the left of the picture at the top of the firewall.

Comminications are a must so I added the following:
    2 Midland GTX 635 GMRS radios
    EK Motors Cell phone holders for GMRS radios
    Cobra 29 series CB radio
    Yaesu FT2900 Ham radio

For airing down and filling back up, a 10 lb CO2 tank and an ARB deflator.

A HiLift Jack is a necessity

Speaking of lifts I have a Superlift 4" lift kit

and Superlift Rockrunner control arms and Superlift remote reservoir shocks

This enables me to run BFG KM2s in 35x12.50x15. That made pulling my trailers a real PITA so I had Yukon 5.38 gears put in.That made the driveshafts spin faster and showed me how the front was worn out, so today I put in a Tom Woods Front driveshaft.

Sears Diehard Platinum AGM battery. Just because I added a wire or two.

For the camper I added a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and a 40 amp camper battery charging circuit with 6 gauge power and ground wires for the camper batteries. Oh was that ever a pain to work with.

Since it was7" taller, people kept complaining they couldn't get in so I added OME rollbar grab handles.

To keep stuff organized - Smittybuilt GEAR seat cover storage system

The way it looks today

Last edited by Alter Ego; 07-03-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC

I think that a man with a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football.

So, now that you have a lift, wanna go down the trail you like to cuss me out in? I say we test it's new capabilities right. If you come back with all your parts intact, you've won.
    Oz
    Support the sport. Join GLFWDA!
    ********GLFWDA.org********

Quote Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
    I agree with oz. (gawd I hate saying that)

Yuo got it, Pal.
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC

I think that a man with a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football.

how do you like the KM2's on the street Gary?

They were well mannered on the expressway when I took it to drummond. They, as expected, are noisy around town. I like to drive with my windows down, and, at 55, get pretty loud. They are awesome offroad.
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC

Ok Gary. Once I get mine put back together, plan on doing a little wheeling.
    Oz
    Support the sport. Join GLFWDA!
    ********GLFWDA.org********

Quote Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
    I agree with oz. (gawd I hate saying that)

Country Girl <3 Beefy's other half's Avatar

Ohhhhhhhhh Ahhhhhhhhh
    Is turned on by anything mud covered.

Enjoys cake - very much

"You can't talk about cake with a Nympho and not deliver."

~~My husband has the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the zoo. ~~

Stop gloating.
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC

Get Bent

how do you like the smittybilt GEAR seat cover? i have thought about getting a set of those for mine.

For me, one is enough. I don't loke the lack of flexibility of the pouches. Non rotatable. Still I use it.
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC

I'm here for the fun whiterhino's Avatar

Looks good. I'm assuming the blanket in the back seat is for the dog??
    Oh, and is there supposed to be a pic of the trailer hitch?

Glad the vibration just turned out to be a driveshaft.

Yep, that is a dog blanket.

The trailerhitch is a super secret government device under development and I am not allowed to photograph it for fear the terrorists will build one of their own.
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC

I'm here for the fun whiterhino's Avatar

OK gotcha. Now I 'm content.

I forgot about the computer. It is an Asus Eee PC netbook running DeLorme TOPO for a 9" screen GPS. Really helps out these old eyes. I also have a factory service manual and parts manual on the computer.Tons of music too that I can play through the Jeep radio.

Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC

One more thing to add.

JK radiators are notorious for trapping mud. You really can't clean them by spraying them at the carwash. You must remove the radiator shroud and spray from the back also.

JK shrouds have bolts on top and christmas tree rivets on the bottom holding the fan shroud on. These rivets are a PITA to remove so I replaced them with 1/4" bolts and nuts to hold them in place. These act as pins upon which the fan shroud can be lowered onto. Now, removing the fan shroud for cleaning is a 4 minute job. Pull the two top bolts and the coolant tank, disconnect the fan power connector, then pull out the shroud.

Here is a pic of the back of the radiator, looking down. Notice the 3 holes at the bottom on the black plastic. This is where the rivets went.

This pic shows the bolts and nuts in place as pins

The holes in the bottom of the fan shroud must be enlarged to acommodate the pins.

Finally, the fan shroud in place set down over the pins.

If you like to drive through deep mud, this mod is worth the time.
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC

Get Bent

see, i knew it wasn't a "bone stock" jeep.

Shhh.
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC

Man that thing is awesome Gary! I'm jealous

Thank you.
    Gary
    JK Wrangler Rubicon
    KD8NHC