Default ORV sticker cost?

Well the sled trail sticker went up, anyone know if the ORV one did too and if so to how much?
    My hellawack shiznit is interfrizzled in my brizzle

Not yet, but it will.

I participated in a work group through the DNR to figure out how to fix our impending problem (The group included an ATV user, and full-size user = Paul, a motorcycle rep, Dick Ranney, the two Steves from DNR, and Lt Andy from LED, plus a couple more DNR folks when we needed information including Joe the finance guy). The ORV fund has been living off of an accumulated balance for several years now under a directive from the legislature to spend down the balance - it let the State keep the price the same for a lot longer than it should while still delivering the same level (or more) of services. That surplus of funds is just about used up, so in order to maintain the current level of funding for the program, the fee will have to go up soon. Inflation adjusted, the current $16.25 should be right around $30, and the last time I got a report from our contacts in Lansing the number they are working with is right in that ball park, $32.50 was the last number I heard bouncing around. This has to be addressed through legislation, and there is a lot of ORV-related legislation being discussed right now so I assume the fee increase will be part of a bigger bill.

I wish something had been done sooner - when the work group sat down with a list of needs/wants/desire, then broke it down by the number of licenses sold each year, our target was $40+ to get all of the needs/wants/desires covered. Since that was WAAAYYY out of whack with the current price, we had to start trimming. A lot. On the plus side, the early sales figures I saw for this year were up again, despite the sucky economy - selling more at the lower target price they are now considering should get more of those needs/wants/desires addressed over time. One of the things we are working against is the environmental costs of maintaining the trails - a bridge or culvert that cost $5,000 15 years ago because the labor was supplied by a local club for example, may cost $50,000 today to replace due to environmental studies, having to install barriers to eliminate erosion during construction, and having to hire environmentally trained companies to do the job.

The short answer (sorry got a little long-winded) is the fee will go up soon, but the appropriate legislation has not yet been introduced or passed.
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

Quote Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
    Not yet, but it will.

I participated in a work group through the DNR to figure out how to fix our impending problem (The group included an ATV user, and full-size user = Paul, a motorcycle rep, Dick Ranney, the two Steves from DNR, and Lt Andy from LED, plus a couple more DNR folks when we needed information including Joe the finance guy). The ORV fund has been living off of an accumulated balance for several years now under a directive from the legislature to spend down the balance - it let the State keep the price the same for a lot longer than it should while still delivering the same level (or more) of services. That surplus of funds is just about used up, so in order to maintain the current level of funding for the program, the fee will have to go up soon. Inflation adjusted, the current $16.25 should be right around $30, and the last time I got a report from our contacts in Lansing the number they are working with is right in that ball park, $32.50 was the last number I heard bouncing around. This has to be addressed through legislation, and there is a lot of ORV-related legislation being discussed right now so I assume the fee increase will be part of a bigger bill.

I wish something had been done sooner - when the work group sat down with a list of needs/wants/desire, then broke it down by the number of licenses sold each year, our target was $40+ to get all of the needs/wants/desires covered. Since that was WAAAYYY out of whack with the current price, we had to start trimming. A lot. On the plus side, the early sales figures I saw for this year were up again, despite the sucky economy - selling more at the lower target price they are now considering should get more of those needs/wants/desires addressed over time. One of the things we are working against is the environmental costs of maintaining the trails - a bridge or culvert that cost $5,000 15 years ago because the labor was supplied by a local club for example, may cost $50,000 today to replace due to environmental studies, having to install barriers to eliminate erosion during construction, and having to hire environmentally trained companies to do the job.

The short answer (sorry got a little long-winded) is the fee will go up soon, but the appropriate legislation has not yet been introduced or passed.

Thanks for the info

Gotta pay to play

Dakota truggy on tons 43" sx's and coil overs
    07 CTD Tow Pig

eeeeeeeooooooorrrrrrr choppergar's Avatar

Ya
    Got to pay to play.
    The places I play in are getting Less & Less

To be clear for all that may read this. I have no problem with the fee going up. I knew about the possible increase a while ago. I buy a sticker every year even though most years I don't wheel where the sticker is required. I brought this up for 2 reasons...to see if it went up becasue I am too lazy to google it... and to let newbs know it will be going up.

there going to fire me soon Coastie's Avatar

Seems well worth it, one of the things I love out MI is all the state land. So if I gotta pay a little more to use these public places with my Jeep, no problem!

I'm here for the fun whiterhino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie View Post
    Seems well worth it, one of the things I love out MI is all the state land. So if I gotta pay a little more to use these public places with my Jeep, no problem!
    Your ORV sticker doesn't really do anything for you on "all the state land". It's exclusive to the ORV trails and routes along with the scramble areas. They don't have anything to do with general forest roads.

And I agree that you gotta pay to play.

Yea, I buy it to support things state wide. I get to the mounds about every other year or so and to silver lake even less these days and there isn't anything in the West Branch/St Helen's area that interests me.

Quote Originally Posted by iMuddyPaws View Post
    Yea, I buy it to support things state wide. I get to the mounds about every other year or so and to silver lake even less these days and there isn't anything in the West Branch/St Helen's area that interests me.
    Stay tuned for an update on the St Helen scramble area. The new rock crawl area is still moving forward, should be a reality soon. Our east side trail technician from DNR has recently been to the Mounds to see Phases 1 & 2, hopefully we will get her to get something more challenging on the ground as Phase 1 up there instead of having to wait for Phase 2 like we did at the Mounds.
    KD8PAV

Quote Originally Posted by iMuddyPaws View Post
    To be clear for all that may read this. I have no problem with the fee going up. I knew about the possible increase a while ago. I buy a sticker every year even though most years I don't wheel where the sticker is required. I brought this up for 2 reasons...to see if it went up becasue I am too lazy to google it... and to let newbs know it will be going up.
    Google? You mean you haven't tried the new www.askhittie.com search engine before?
    KD8PAV

Quote Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
    Stay tuned for an update on the St Helen scramble area. The new rock crawl area is still moving forward, should be a reality soon. Our east side trail technician from DNR has recently been to the Mounds to see Phases 1 & 2, hopefully we will get her to get something more challenging on the ground as Phase 1 up there instead of having to wait for Phase 2 like we did at the Mounds.
    That's good news for sure.