Default Access the Chilton Library free (and legally)

Hey all --

We all know that the Factory Service Manual is the way to go, right? Well, I give you the poor man's substitute -- paid for by your tax dollars...

Chiltons Library via the Michigan eLibrary

"ChiltonLibrary provides exclusive photographs, diagnostics designed by instructors, step-by-step repair procedures, Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) maintenance schedules, wiring diagrams, recalls and Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) for automobiles and light trucks in one easy-to-use web site. Since this library subscribes to ChiltonLibrary, you are now equipped with decades of data to maintain your vehicle..."
    Now nobody can whine about not having a manual.
    Jerry (-. ..--- .--- .--. --..)
    "Caveat lector..."

Very cool to know that
    1974 Jeep J10, AMC 401, 33's

Yup, been looking into that to try and save my school program some money. We pay for Mitchell on Demand right now but it's over $1000 per year.

Chilton's is a bit limited in some areas, but seems to be ok for most stuff.
    My hellawack shiznit is interfrizzled in my brizzle

Not sure about the rest, but here is everything it has about replacing the alternator on a 99 Chrysler Cirrus:

2.7L Engine

Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.

Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable from the shock tower

Accessory belt splash shield and loosen the belt

Alternator electrical connectors

A/C pressure switch and clutch electrical connectors

Engine oil dipstick

Alternator

To install:

Install or connect the following:

Alternator and torque the bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm)

Engine oil dipstick tube

A/C pressure switch and clutch electrical connectors

Alternator electrical connectors

Drive belt and splash shield

Negative battery cable
    That's it, nothing else.

I hope the rest of the library is better than that. If so, it would make a good resource.

Personally, if you are going to keep a car and do the work yourself, the FSM is still worth the price.
    Old Fart #3
    Always Support Legal Wheeling and Remember, Tread Lightly
    Pain in the Arse #1

Now, lets go wheelin

Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    Not sure about the rest, but here is everything it has about replacing the alternator on a 99 Chrysler Cirrus:

That's it, nothing else.

I hope the rest of the library is better than that. If so, it would make a good resource.

Personally, if you are going to keep a car and do the work yourself, the FSM is still worth the price.
    No, that's probably typical. But so many people on different boards I frequent always seem to ask questions that even a Chiltons or a Haynes could answer if they'd just BUY THE FLIPPIN' BOOK! Instead, they just want spoon feeding. Well, here's a spoon to feed them. If they have half a clue, they'll take the hint and be able to come back and ask intelligent questions that will actually help them. As I pointed out, few books beat the FSM (although a T727 book does come to mind) but too few people are willing to invest the money but think nothing of dropping a couple hundred on upgrades that really won't improve their off road skills, but will impress the PFK at AutoZone.

/rant off
    "Caveat lector..."

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
    Yup, been looking into that to try and save my school program some money. We pay for Mitchell on Demand right now but it's over $1000 per year.

Chilton's is a bit limited in some areas, but seems to be ok for most stuff.
    I haven't seen a Mitchell's in years, but I always thought they were pretty good. Do you think it's worth the $$$?
    "Caveat lector..."

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    No, that's probably typical. But so many people on different boards I frequent always seem to ask questions that even a Chiltons or a Haynes could answer if they'd just BUY THE FLIPPIN' BOOK! Instead, they just want spoon feeding. Well, here's a spoon to feed them. If they have half a clue, they'll take the hint and be able to come back and ask intelligent questions that will actually help them. As I pointed out, few books beat the FSM (although a T727 book does come to mind) but too few people are willing to invest the money but think nothing of dropping a couple hundred on upgrades that really won't improve their off road skills, but will impress the PFK at AutoZone.

/rant off

You are absolutely correct.
    Old Fart #3
    Always Support Legal Wheeling and Remember, Tread Lightly
    Pain in the Arse #1

Now, lets go wheelin

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    I haven't seen a Mitchell's in years, but I always thought they were pretty good. Do you think it's worth the $$$?
    For a professional use, yes. OnDemand5, web based access is well worth it. It has some of the best wire diagrams. Very good and far cheaper than getting paper for every vehicle you would ever work on.
    My hellawack shiznit is interfrizzled in my brizzle