PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Winch Line repair

Evil Queen
06-10-2009, 12:07 AM
After my synthetic winch line broke, I found out there is a trail fix you can do that involves reweaving. This is what I was able to find. I plan to use my severed line as practice for the future. A few others have asked for pieces of it to do the same, so at least the old one will serve a good purpose!!

http://www.stu-offroad.com/recovery/trailfix/trailfix-1.htm

whiterhino
06-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Tieing a knot is pretty effective too.

Big Hoss Blazer
06-10-2009, 10:05 AM
How did you manage to do that?? My friends did 2 turtle ridge comps. and his hasen't broke yet, not to menchian all the other places we've went.

Evil Queen
06-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Tieing a knot is pretty effective too.

Fullsize tied a knot for me and I ended up needing it at Turtle Ridge that day! It held great, but I was of the understanding that it was a special kind of knot?

How did you manage to do that?? My friends did 2 turtle ridge comps. and his hasen't broke yet, not to menchian all the other places we've went.

My bad. Someone had re-spooled my winch incorrectly (it was kinked and wound backwards part of the way) Pretty sure it was the hubby....:hehe:

anyway, while using it, the winch brake failed and it was scissoring across the fairlead. It broke before I realized what the problem was...definately user errror, not the rope! I didn't like to see it break, but I was happy to see that it really does fall to the ground like they say!!!

thrca
06-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Pam, if you save a piece, I will try to get the old man out sometime at an event and he can teach you how to backbraid. He is extremely practiced at all types of backbraiding, both on single braid and double braid ropes.

Buggy Tim
06-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Pam, your line really didn't "break". I hate to see that word used in this case and in the same context with the stynth rope. It didn't have a huge load on it that would exceed the weight of the rope by any means.

The rope was cut by the hawse fairlead. Instead of the rope coming off the winch drum at the bottom of the drum and going out straight, it was coming off the top of the drum and then made about a 90 degree turn at the hawse. It simply sliced through the rope there.

When I broke my first synth rope, I broke that thing. But the way that happened as I was sliding down the side of the mountain in Canada...that overloaded the rope. And would have with steel also. But even in that case, the rope did what they do. Dropped right to the ground. Sounded like a gun shot when it went though. That was like 5 or 6 years ago.

Evil Queen
06-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Pam, if you save a piece, I will try to get the old man out sometime at an event and he can teach you how to backbraid. He is extremely practiced at all types of backbraiding, both on single braid and double braid ropes.

That would be awesome. I plan on cutting up the rope and using it for practicing, so that would be great!!!

Evil Queen
06-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Pam, your line really didn't "break". I hate to see that word used in this case and in the same context with the stynth rope. It didn't have a huge load on it that would exceed the weight of the rope by any means.

The rope was cut by the hawse fairlead. Instead of the rope coming off the winch drum at the bottom of the drum and going out straight, it was coming off the top of the drum and then made about a 90 degree turn at the hawse. It simply sliced through the rope there.

When I broke my first synth rope, I broke that thing. But the way that happened as I was sliding down the side of the mountain in Canada...that overloaded the rope. And would have with steel also. But even in that case, the rope did what they do. Dropped right to the ground. Sounded like a gun shot when it went though. That was like 5 or 6 years ago.

That is true, it didn't break....but it was still operator error. I really suck at the winch thing :hehe:

Dylan
06-11-2009, 01:14 PM
what was called a trail fix really isn't a trail fix but a permanent way of splicing those ropes. The teqnuqie has been used in the industry for many years to join rope. These ropes are hollow center braids and they actually collapses on itself for strength. the idea of the splice is like the old chinese finger traps. when it collapses as you pull, its locks down. The harder you pull, the tighter it gets. If you're only a few feet from the hook, I would just cut the rope short and put a new end on it. If it broke back about 10ft or so, i would splice it and use it the way it is.

Here is the link to doing splicings.
http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?page=28

hotwired
06-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Fullsize tied a knot for me and I ended up needing it at Turtle Ridge that day! It held great, but I was of the understanding that it was a special kind of knot?

I wasn't in your group that day, but from the picture I saw it looked like a bowline knot. Real simple strong knot that most any ex boyscout should remember. Not used in your world much:eq: :poke:
If you can learn to do a real weave more power to ya, but I'd stick to the trail fix unless you've got a lot of time on your hands and you'e practiced on it a lot.

Evil Queen
06-17-2009, 02:17 AM
I wasn't in your group that day, but from the picture I saw it looked like a bowline knot. Real simple strong knot that most any ex boyscout should remember. Not used in your world much:eq: :poke:
If you can learn to do a real weave more power to ya, but I'd stick to the trail fix unless you've got a lot of time on your hands and you'e practiced on it a lot.

I'm going to try to weave it again with the original thimble and hook. Thanks for the info on the knot....You can learn a lot form a boy scout :eq:

Coastie
07-06-2009, 05:35 PM
The part where he milks the outer sheath over the core is kinda hard. A trick is to take it and put the eye on your hitch bumper then tie off the standing end of the line and bounce the truck a little.

I dunno how many side lines and tow lines I made as a Seaman. :)

BIGBEN
07-06-2009, 06:47 PM
i am going to refrain from making seaman jokes. :hehe:

Trucks are for girls!
07-06-2009, 07:23 PM
i am going to refrain from making seaman jokes. :hehe:

:hehe: